Independence Car & Truck Accident Attorney
Personalized Representation to Help You Pursue Maximum Compensation
Car and truck accidents are some of the most common road accidents personal injury lawyers handle. If you have been injured in such an accident, you have the right to sue for damages, and an experienced lawyer can help you build a strong case for compensation. Our attorneys at Wrabec Law, P.C. have 32 years of combined experience and will work tirelessly to pursue maximum compensation on your behalf. We will also communicate consistently with you to keep you updated on the status of your case and make sure you feel supported all the way through. As you focus on healing from your injuries, Wrabec Law, P.C. will do its best to secure your legal claims.
Comparative Fault in Auto Accident Cases
When it comes to accident claims, Missouri operates under “pure comparative fault,” or “comparative negligence,” rules. This means that the amount of damages an injured party can receive in their car or truck accident lawsuit is based on their percentage of fault for the accident. The total damage award the plaintiff can recover will be reduced by the percentage of their level of fault, where fault refers to the other driver’s failure to operate their vehicle with reasonable care (negligence), thus causing the accident.
Note that this rule applies even if the injured person is found to be more at fault than the driver they are suing. For example, if they are found to be 80% at fault for causing the car crash, the plaintiff may still recover 20% of the damages (though they will be liable for the remaining 80%).
Some examples of parties that may be at fault for a car or truck accident include the car or truck driver, the owner of the truck, the manufacturer of the truck components, or even the person who loaded the truck’s cargo.
Schedule a free consultation with Wrabec Law, P.C. to get started. Bilingual Spanish-speaking services available.
Keep in mind that Missouri law requires accidents to be reported if any person was killed or injured in the accident or if there occurred damage to a person’s property worth more than $500, and:
- the accident involved an uninsured motorist on any street, highway, or parking area open to the public; or
- the owner or operator of a vehicle involved in the accident did not have automobile insurance.
The owner of a parked car involved in an accident causing death, injury, or property damage worth more than $500 is also legally required to report an accident.
Types of Recoverable Damages
Injured drivers may sue for several types of damages, depending on the severity of the accident. In particular, Missouri offers the following types of damages for car and truck drivers:
- Economic damages – monetary losses resulting from the accident that you can recover (e.g., medical bills, lost wages)
- Non-economic damages – non-monetary losses resulting from the accident (e.g., pain and suffering, loss of companionship)
In more serious cases when the plaintiff can prove by clear and convincing evidence that the defendant intentionally injured them, the court may also order punitive damages aimed more at punishing the defendant.
If you seek to sue for damages due to a vehicle accident, do not hesitate to get a lawyer on your case immediately. Be aware that any injured party – be it a driver, passenger, or pedestrian – must bring forward their civil lawsuit within 5 years of the accident in order for the court to consider their case. If the accident resulted in death, family members may instead want to bring forward a wrongful death lawsuit, which has a statute of limitations of 3 years from the date of the person’s death.
You may already be grappling with a difficult time as you get back on your feet and heal physically and emotionally. Wrabec Law, P.C. can guide you patiently through the legal process and help you strategize a strong lawsuit for maximum damages.
Retain the monetary and non-monetary damages you deserve following a car or truck accident in Independence, Missouri. Schedule a free consultation with Wrabec Law, P.C. to get started.
Trustworthy & Effective
“His mind is a steal trap. He's the most trustworthy person I've ever had the privilege to know. And I can rest assured that he's going to get things taken care of on my motorcycle accident.”
“Effective communication, not the cheapest but you pay for the communication and full attention to your case. He explained that his fees were more because the average attorney doesn't spend as much time on each issue. They held my hand throughout the entire”
“In 2012 when I got my first motorcycle I became Wrabec Law's #1 client that summer. Solid attorney who delivers on what you pay for.”